TACO BRAID (tiphero.com)
You’ll Need – 1 can refrigerated pizza dough – 2 tablespoons olive oil – ½ cup chopped onion – ¾ pound ground beef – 3 tablespoons taco seasoning – 1 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese, divided – 1 tomato, diced, plus additional for top, if desired – 1 ½ cups chopped lettuce – Sour cream and salsa for serving, if desired
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius).
- Sauté the onions in the olive oil until translucent and just starting to brown.
- Add the ground beef and taco seasoning, and fully cook the ground beef.
- Once it’s fully-cooked, drain the ground beef and set aside.
- Unroll the pizza dough onto parchment paper. On both sides, cut equal strips, going about 1 ½ into the dough but NOT all the way from side to side. The dough should like it has fringe.**
- Layer the ground beef, tomatoes, and cheese in the center of the dough.
- Braid the dough strips over the top of the filling, so that the filling is almost fully-encased in the dough.
- Slide the braided loaf onto a baking sheet. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until browned on top.
- Garnish the top with tomatoes, lettuce, and the remaining cheese. Serve with salsa (or taco sauce) and enjoy!
- ** if you aren’t sure how to cut the dough, go to tiphero.com, search the recipe and look at the brief video